Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Beer Name: Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout
Brewery: Rogue Brewery
ABV: 6.1%
Serving method: 22-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

I am in the middle of two streaks here. The first is a good one, which is 5 straight days of new beer posts. The second one is less good, as it is a streak of beers that do not have any indication of when they were brewed or bottled. I understand when I'm at a bar that I might not be able to find out when they got the keg, but if I have a bottle then there's really no reason that the label can't have the date on it.

Also, it's the first beer from Oregon!

Rogue's Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout is another dark black beer. It pours with a creamy head with medium retention and moderate lacing. That last sentence was me trying out my "professional" beer voice. It has an aroma like creamy coffee with a little hint of oats or grain. The smell was quite pleasant.

The first thing that struck me about the taste here was that there is a very slight hop flavor in there. And also there is quite a bit of carbonation at first, giving the beer a slightly sharp bite. After a few minutes, everything mellowed out and left the beer much more drinkable. Besides the hops, there is some coffee flavor along with faint chocolate and some maltiness. You really get it all here. There's a little bit of an aftertaste of bitterness, probably from the hops and coffee flavor.

Final thought - Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the name, but Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout reminded me of the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from a few days ago. I would call the Shakespeare one a slightly better version, although both are pretty tasty.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment