Sunday, February 13, 2011

Latitude 48 IPA

Beer Name: Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA
Brewery: Boston Beer Company
ABV: 6%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Best by May 2011

It's always a nice surprise when there's a new beer to try when you're not expecting it. Such was the case last night with the Latitude 48 IPA, whose name comes from the fact that the hops used are all grown close to 48° north latitude. For you geography people out there, this latitude includes the "hop belt," and I have to assume that is far more awesome than the Bible Belt.

Since the Boston Beer Company uses dark brown bottles, I wasn't able to see the color of the beer or get any idea of its head production or lacing capabilities. I was able to pick up on a nice hoppy aroma, specifically citrus and floral hops. Maybe a little hint of pine in there as well. Unlike many IPAs, the hop aroma wasn't overwhelming, so this might be a less intense hop experience.

Latitude 48 IPA is a much milder IPA than a lot of other ones that I've tried. It has a hoppy taste, but it's much less pronounced. The hoppy and piney tastes come through nicely, but they don't linger in the aftertaste. There's also some sweetness in the finish. The beer has a good level of carbonation, probably in the medium range.

Final thought - I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I like a lot of stuff in the Sam Adams line of beers, but I don't think they've ever done anything in the IPA style before, so I was a little wary. Well, this is a nice, easy drinking beer which is perfect for an evening at the bar. Which is where I was.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment