Sunday, February 6, 2011

Lefty's IPA

Beer Name: Lefty's India Pale Ale
Brewery: Lefty's Brewing Company
ABV: 6.6%
Serving method: 22-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Lately this first paragraph gives a quick story or some tidbit about the beer of the day. Not this time though.

Lefty's IPA is a golden beer with a thick head that lasted for quite a while. It left a very heavy lacing on the glass. The beer has the same sweet malt scent that I have begun to associate with all of Lefty's brews. Strangely, there is not any significant hop aroma. From my experience, IPAs are supposed to smell hoppy.

And maybe that lack of hop aroma isn't as strange as I thought. This does not taste like an IPA at all. Not even a little bit. It's got a little bit of sweetness, and then sort of a weird beer flavor that I don't know how to describe other than "medicinal." Finally, it finishes with a mildly bitterness. There is also an aftertaste that is partly sweet and partly bitter. It has very little carbonation.

Final thought - Pass. If I'm drinking an IPA, I expect some hops. I don't expect medicine flavor.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment