Friday, January 21, 2011

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Beer Name: Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
Brewery: Anderson Valley Brewing Company
ABV: 5.7%
Serving method: 16-oz draft
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Looks like we're still right on track with my resolution. And I'm still on my stout kick. And both of those things are just fine with me.

The Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is another dark beer, but it's not a solid black like some previous stouts. It's more of a very deep brown. It had about a quarter inch of head which faded slowly but did not leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma was dominated by the malt, which smelled slightly roasted and sweet.

This beer had a slightly sharp flavor at the beginning which eased up as the beer warmed. I preferred the smoother taste that I was getting after about 10 minutes. There was a little bit of sweetness in the flavor, along with some faint chocolate flavor and maybe some roasted coffee. It had some carbonation in there that I would characterize as "almost medium." Once it warmed up a little, it was very smooth and did not leave an aftertaste.

Final thought - Once I got past the initial bite of this beer, I found it to be very enjoyable with my meal. If I see it again in my travels, I think I would order another.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment