Monday, January 31, 2011

Torpedo

Beer Name: Torpedo Extra IPA
Brewery: Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
ABV: 7.2%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a footed pilsner glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Well, now I've learned something new, specifically what a footed pilsner glass is. I also learned that this particular glass is not the correct type of glass to use for an IPA. I'm proud of myself.

Torpedo calls itself an "Extra IPA," but I don't know if that means that it's in the double category or if it's just paler or more Indian or what. I'm guessing it's just stronger than an IPA. At any rate, it's a brownish-amber beer with about 3/4" of head. This head lasts an average amount of time, and leaves a light lacing on the glass. The aroma here is a nice citrusy hop scent.

This is a hoppy beer. A very hoppy beer. It's also very dry with a bitter finish. Pretty much everything you'd expect from an IPA. There is a very strong aftertaste of hops in this beer, so be prepared. The beer has a medium carbonation, and it works well with the hoppiness.

Final thought - While it's no Celebration Ale, Torpedo is still pretty good and will make a nice substitute when the Celebration Ale isn't available anymore. Which might actually be now. I haven't looked for it since it ran out at The Lighthouse. Either way, Torpedo is a fairly tasty IPA.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment