Friday, November 5, 2010

Country Ale

Beer Name: Wachusett Country Ale
Brewery: Wachusett Brewing Company
ABV: 5%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle, poured into a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown because I forgot to check

Wow, it's been a while since I tried a new beer. That's a little bit sad, but it's mostly because I have a backlog of beers in my fridge and Kate's fridge, and I can't buy new stuff until I clear out some space. But I can drink any random ones I find in there, like this one.

Wachusett Country Ale is an American Pale Ale, which I am assuming is different from India Pale Ale and regular old pale ale. It's a golden colored beer with a whole bunch of head. It's darker than a normal pale ale, so there's your first difference right there. It's got a malty aroma and a bit of a fruity smell. I'm not sure which fruit, but I think maybe apple. The head hangs around for a long time, but it surprisingly only leaves a light lacing.

This beer has a confusing taste. I like it, but I can't really figure out what I'm tasting. It's not super hoppy (pale ale difference number 2!), and there's a grainy taste, sort of like bread. And a little bit of apple I think. At first it seemed like there was a lot of carbonation, but only for a few sips. Then it calmed down and was a lot more drinkable. This beer does not have a strong aftertaste.

Final thought - I enjoyed my Country Ale, and I'll be drinking them again next time Kathryn picks up a 6-pack. I don't know if I'd buy them for myself though. It's good, but it's not so great that it sticks in my brain as a new favorite.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment