Thursday, November 18, 2010

Harpoon IPA

Beer Name: Harpoon IPA
Brewery: Harpoon Brewery
ABV: 5.9%
Serving method: Draft pint in a stange
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

So it turns out that being a Friend of Harpoon actually does get you free beer. Also, Kate says she told me that, so apparently it turns out that I don't listen to her as much as I should. I probably shouldn't put that into writing, since I can almost guarantee that it comes back to bite me at some point.

Harpoon was sponsoring an event at the Greenfield Grille, so we went to check it out. And get a free beer. But beforehand, we got some food and a couple of beers. I got the Harpoon IPA, because I am starting to enjoy IPAs more and more. So far the story is good, but it will soon take a terrible turn! Dun dun duuuunnnnnnn!! (That's that scary noise when something bad or foreboding happens.)

The Harpoon IPA is an amber colored draft with practically no head. It smells like a combination of citrus and hops. As I drank it, there was some lacing that lagged slightly behind the level of the liquid.

Ok, here's where things get bad. Something was not right with the tap, and the beer had a very off taste because of it. I don't know how to describe it other than comparing it to the taste you get when you have bad water. And yes, this is the terrible turn I mentioned earlier. Fortunately, after a few sips, that grossness faded and the real beer came through. It ended up having a nice hoppy flavor with a little bit of citrus. There wasn't a whole lot of carbonation, and no aftertaste. It's too bad that the beer wasn't treated as well as it should be.

Final thought - This beer has a lot of promise, what with having to battle the grossness of a dirty tapline. I am going to give it another try, at which point I will have a better idea about what is really going on. I imagine things will be better next time.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment