Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Octoberfest

Beer Name: Wachusett Octoberfest
Brewery: Wachusett Brewing Company
ABV: 5.2%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown, best by Dec 2010

It must be almost the end of the Oktoberfest season, so hopefully I'll finish off on a strong note. I found this one in Kathryn's fridge, and it wasn't in there the last time I was here, so it must be pretty fresh.

The Wachusett Octoberfest is a golden orange color and slightly cloudy. Perhaps the color could be described as "coppery." There wasn't much head, and it faded almost immediately. The beer leaves a light lacing on the glass. The aroma here is fruity mostly and maybe a little bit of graininess.

This does not taste like an Octoberfest. It has a quality more like a red or brown ale (I can't remember which one is which sometimes). It's a little sweet, and there's a bready flavor to it as well. There's also a faint fruity flavor in the background. It's very drinkable as there is almost no carbonation here, and the aftertaste is only mild as well. If you are a big fan of it, you could probably drink a bunch of these without issue.

Final thought - Well, it's ok, I guess. It just doesn't feel like I'm drinking an Oktoberfest-style beer. I think this beer would go well with food, although I don't know anything about beer/food pairings. Let's say it would be good with. . . hot wings! Or something spicy. I think the sweetness of the beer would work well with spiciness in food. Go try it, and let me know.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment