Saturday, November 13, 2010

Milk Stout

Beer Name: Wachusett Milk Stout
Brewery: Wachusett Brewing Company
ABV: 5.8%
Serving method: 22-oz bottle served in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown, best by Mar 2011

I realized recently that I have frequently written "16-oz pint" in the "Serving Method" section up above, and that's stupid. What other pint size is there? So that ends today. I apologize for the foolishness.

Today is New Beers Day. Or should that be New Beers Eve? You know, because it sounds sort of like New Year's Eve? Right? Get it? Nuh-uh, you're stupid! At any rate, I picked up a nice selection of new beers, as well as some Celebration Ale in order to fulfill my previous post's promise. I am going to kick things off with the Milk Stout because that one is already cold.

First off, this beer is dark. Like solid black dark. It's so dark, that, much like a black hole, it absorbs all the light around it. There is almost no head on the beer, and the little that is there dissipates quickly. We're all about the beer for this one. However, despite the low head level, the beer does leave some lacing. So there's that. . . The aroma has a bit of coffee, and a bit of sweetness, and a bit of chocolate. All signs point to this being a nice, smooth brew.

The beer's flavor matches up with the scent. There's some chocolate and coffee flavors, along with a roasted/burnt malt taste. There is actually a sharper flavor than I was expecting, which is unexpected based on both the beer's style and its smell. Weird. It seems to soften up as it warms, and I prefer it this way. The carbonation is light, and there's a moderately sweet aftertaste.

Final thought - Wachusett Milk Stout is a tasty beer for any stout-lovers out there. It's not the greatest stout I've had, but it's definitely above average and very enjoyable. I like that it has a sweetness without being overly sweet. This beer is a keeper.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment