Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Big Bear Black Stout

Beer Name: Big Bear Black Stout
Brewery: Bear Republic Brewing Company
ABV: 8.1%
Serving method: 22-oz bottle served in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

This is another beer that I picked strictly based on its label. Come on! It has a bear on it! How can I turn down bear beer? This bear wasn't doing anything funny, but still. Bear beer!

The Big Bear Black Stout is also super dark, but I don't think it's as dark as the milk stout from a couple days ago. This one has a lot more head, and it leaves a little foam layer after most of the rest of it disappears. There's also a fairly detailed lacing pattern on the glass. The aroma is a combination of roasted malt and faint hops. I think there might also be a coffee scent deep underneath as well.

This is a unique stout. It has the roasted flavor of malt that you normally expect, but there is a hoppiness to it that is unexpected. Delightfully unexpected, I would say. There's also a light coffee flavor. Despite being over 8%, it doesn't taste extremely strong. I can imagine that being a problem because this beer is easily drinkable and could result in brownouts, blackouts or loss of pants if you're not careful. The beer is more carbonated than most stouts I've had as well, but it's an ok amount. There is a slightly sweet aftertaste as well.

Final thought - I like it! I think this would be a good stout for people who don't usually like stouts. The hops change up the normal flavor, so it's like a gateway stout. And it's got a bear! Done deal.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment