Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Two Sisters

Beer Name: Two Sisters Imperial Stout
Brewery: Amherst Brewing Company
ABV: 6.7%
Serving method: 16-oz draft in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Amherst Brewing Company calls this an imperial stout, but at 6.7%, I'm not sure it's quite high enough to actually get the classification. But I guess if they want to call it imperial, so be it.

Two Sisters is, like many stouts, a very opaque dark beer. Also like many stouts, it came with only a thin layer of head that remained for about the first half of the pint. Some of the head clung in a light lacing pattern, but only very faintly. The aroma of this beer is a heavy roasted chocolate one.

The flavor is also heavy on the roasted characteristics, but the chocolate flavor isn't sweet chocolate. Maybe dark chocolate, or baking chocolate. There's also a little bit of bitterness at the finish. The beer has a low carbonation, and it works very well paired with some food.

Final thought - Although I really don't think this classifies as an imperial stout, it still works well as a normal stout. Getting the beer fresh from the actual brewery also makes a difference, so I don't know what this would be like if I got a growler and brought it home. I think I'll probably just drink it at ABC and get other stouts for at-home drinking.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment