Saturday, October 22, 2011

Punkin Ale

Beer Name: Punkin Ale
Brewery: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
ABV: 7%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a boring glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

After dinner plans #1, #2 and #3 failed to come to fruition, Kate and I ended up at Judie's in Amherst where I was excited to see Dogfish Head's pumpkin beer on the menu. I've been meaning to give this beer a try for a while now, so that's one more check mark on my To Do list.

Punkin Ale is an dark orangey beer that poured with a light amount of head. They brought me the beer and a glass, so I was able to pour it how I wanted. Oddly, the glass was slightly less than 12 ounces, which makes me confused. You brought me a beer, so bring me an appropriate beer glass!! Oh well. The aroma is heavily pumpkin and spices at first, although the pumpkin part fades away within a couple minutes. The spices, as expected, are mostly cinnamon and nutmeg, similar to many other pumpkin beers.

This beer has a good pumpkin flavor with the spice levels balanced to keep them from overwhelming my tastebuds. Sadly, the pumpkin part of the flavor doesn't last for the entire glass. I guess you have to drink this beer a bit faster than I did. Which means don't order it to enjoy with a meal, as you don't have that kind of time frame. This beer has a bigger presence in each sip than a lot of other pumpkin beers, and a bit more carbonation.

Final thought - This is a good pumpkin beer, probably in the top 4 for this year. For our money, we still like UFO Pumpkin the best at this residence, although I know others will disagree. (For the record, the other members of the top 4 would be Pumking and the really long named one from Wolaver's.)

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment