Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hop Harvest Ale

Beer Name: Hop Harvest Ale
Brewery: Vintage Brewing Co.
ABV: 6.6%
Serving method: 16-oz draft in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Since we had to check out of our hotel by noon and our flight wasn't until 5:20, we still had quite a bit of time to kill even after factoring in a 1.75 hour drive to the airport. We decided that the best way to spend said time would be at a brewery. Little did I know at the time that all this delicious beer (along with pretty much everything else I had consumed in the previous 24 hours) would be violently expelled from my body in a losing battle with motion sickness.

Vintage had a whole bunch of enticing beers, but I finally settled on the Hop Harvest Ale for my first choice. It was a cloudy ruby colored beer that arrived with a very light head that faded away, leaving only a thin layer behind that lasted for most of the beer. It also left a light lacing pattern behind. The aroma of this beer was hoppy, but a grassy sort of hops. It makes me think that the beer is hopped using super-fresh local hops, but I don't really know if Wisconsin is the appropriate climate for hop growing or if any local hops even exist. It's a mystery.

This beer had a very good flavor. It was hoppy, but the hops weren't overpowering like with an IPA. It was like they were an important part of the beer without being the main focus. They are also present in a lightly bitter finish. The beer had a nice amount of carbonation and finished cleanly.

Final thought - This was a great first beer choice. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, but I'm not sure that Vintage ships its beers way out here to MA. That's quite unfortunate, as this was only the first of several delicious things I drank that afternoon.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment