Monday, October 10, 2011

Late Harvest

Beer Name: Late Harvest Autumn Ale
Brewery: Redhook Ale Brewery
ABV: 5.9%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Bottled 9/8/11

Redhook is actually based in Washington, but it has a brewery in New Hampshire as well. Based on some simple calculations (i.e. looking at a map), I'm assuming that this particular bottle of beer originated in NH rather than a few thousand miles away.

Late Harvest is an ambery copper colored beer based on the small amount that I spilled. It's probably a bit darker when it's poured into a glass. There is a nice aroma of sweet maltiness here, with something like maple syrup in there. At first, I was expecting this to be a hoppy kind of beer, with the "Harvest" part of the name implying that it was brewed with fresh-picked hops. However, upon giving it a good sniff, I am 100% sure that my original thought was incorrect.

Much like the aroma, this beer's flavor is pretty heavy on the malt. Sweetness upfront and sweetness in the finish. There's a medium amount of carbonation, which is more than I was expecting. I don't think that's a bad thing though. The finish is a bit heavy and sticky, and it has a little bitterness in it from what I can only assume is from some kind of finishing hops.

Final thought - Nothing wrong with this one. It's a good malty beer with a nice variety of sweetness to it. It's a little thin, but that's not a game-breaker. Although I have learned through my research that the company that owns Redhook might be partly owned by the same folks who brew such delicious beverages as "The King of Beers." That might be an issue.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment