Saturday, October 8, 2011

Batten Down Brown

Beer Name: Batten Down Brown
Brewery: Homebrewed by me (with Kate)
ABV: It's supposed to be around 4.8%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Brewed on 8/27/11, bottled 9/10/11

My second attempt at brewing beer myself went much more smoothly than the first. This is partly due to having an actual recipe this time, but mostly because I knew everything that I had done wrong the first time and could avoid doing it again.

Batten Down Brown is, as the name suggests, a brown ale. It pours a deep brown color with only a thin head that fades quickly without leaving any lacing pattern. The aroma is pretty much all malt, with a noticeable aroma from the chocolate malt we used. There's also just a tiny hint of the finishing hops.

Somewhat surprisingly (since I was partly responsible for its production), this beer is actually pretty good. It tastes the way you'd expect a brown ale to taste, with most of the flavors being malty in nature. There is a noticeable chocolately or coffee flavor to it as well, which I like. The carbonation is very light, which, when combined with the smooth mouthfeel, make this beer drink very easily.

Final thought - While much better than the first batch of beer, I still think this could be improved. There is just a little bit of a sharpness to it that I don't think should be there. Other than that, I think this beer lived up to my expectations, and will be listed as a success in my brewer's diary.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment