Monday, October 3, 2011

Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout

Beer Name: Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout
Brewery: Cape Ann Brewing Company
ABV: 7%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

I hadn't tried a pumpkin stout before, but I like stouts and I like pumpkin beers so I figured this one was a no-brainer.

The Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout is a fairly dark beer about the same color as a cola. It poured with a light head that quickly faded away without leaving much of a lacing pattern. The aroma is hard to describe; there are certainly some pumpkin and spice notes, but there's also something that is not pleasing to my nose. It's almost like a medicinal smell.

At first, I did not like this beer at all. That medicinal aroma was also present in the flavor, and it made it very difficult to enjoy the beer. However, I drank a second bottle, and it did not have any medicinal aroma or flavor. It still wasn't very pumpkiny though, which is an issue for me. Since I had a six-pack of this beer, I drank a couple more bottles throughout the week, and found 2 more to be like the first beer and 1 more like the second. There is still one more bottle in the fridge. Overall, the beer has a creamy feel to it and is very easy drinking, regardless of its flavor. I'm really not sure what's going on with this particular brew.

Final thought - The beers that weren't so good were completely unenjoyable, but the ones that seemed to taste ok weren't bad. "Pumpkin stout" was sort of a misnomer, as this beer needed some more stout flavors and definitely could have used more pumpkin. With all the other pumpkin beers out there, I think I'll be passing on this one in the future.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment