Thursday, September 2, 2010

Boston Lager

Beer Name: Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Brewery: Boston Beer Company
ABV: 4.75%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown, best by Dec 2010

Alright, so I don't know the "professional" way to describe beers, so I'm just going to do things my way.

Everyone knows that I am pro-Samuel Adams. Not the actual guy, although I'm sure he was a real guy and not some creation like Cap'n Crunch, but the brand of beer. It's one of the 2 breweries that I've been on a tour of, and they make a lot of good stuff. I can still try to be unbiased though.

The first thing I notice about this beer is that as soon as you smell it, you know you're getting beer. There's no other scents mixed in there, like flowers or fruit or whatever. The flavor is pretty hoppy at first, then a little taste of caramel, and finally it finishes bitter. I remember they told us on the tour what they did to make that bitter finish, but I forget. Something with how they hop it or whatever. Maybe they dry-hop it.

Boston Lager has what I would call medium carbonation. It's bubbly, but not really bubbly like soda is bubbly. However, like soda, it's absolutely horrible warm. Some beers can get away with being served at a warmer temperature, but this isn't one of them. If you buy a 6-pack (or 12 or case or however much you feel like drinking) and it's not refrigerated, do yourself a favor and ice bath it before you start the festivities. You'll be sorry otherwise. And if you don't know about the ice bath, you have a lot to learn about drinking.

I think this beer is a good beer for a meal. I would enjoy a couple of these with a steak or some ribs. Maybe even some barbecued chicken. It's not the kind of beer I would sit around drinking a bunch of while I watch the Sox though. A few of them are enough for me.

Final thought - Boston Lager is a quality brew that makes a regular appearance in the fridge. It's a nice one to have if I'm out at a higher quality bar, and I am never disappointed to find it in the bottom of a cooler if I'm out at a party. Well done!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment