Friday, September 10, 2010

Honey Ale

Beer Name: Rapscallion Honey Ale
Brewery: Rapscallion
ABV: 4.5%
Serving method: 16-oz draft in a stange glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

One of the most exciting parts of going to a restaurant is checking out the choices on tap in case there is something I've never tried, or possibly never even heard of. Such was the case tonight.

I cannot figure out what this beer smells like, but it is definitely something. Hey, maybe it's honey, but I'm not sure. I have read that the nose can recall some ridiculous number of smells, but mine apparently sucks. That is disappointing. It's not a bad smell though, so I will put the aroma in the "plus" column. Be careful if you smell it though, because this beer is a bit foamy, which means you may put your nose too far into it and have beer foam on your nose. You're welcome in advance.

The Honey Ale has a slightly sharp taste at the beginning, and then has a sweet finish, which I have to attribute to the presence of honey. There's probably just the right amount of honey in there, because it's not overpowering, but it's noticeable. I bet this beer would be really good with food, but I finished it before the meal came and then switched over to something else. I think the beer improved as I got closer to the end of the glass, which means that this beer gains the coveted quality of being able to be served warm. Hooray!

Final thought - Honey Ale is a delightful draft beer to relax with while you're waiting for a table to open up at a restaurant on a Friday night. That is a very specific situation there, but it's definitely applicable. I bet it would also be good in lots of other situations. Delicious!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment