Thursday, September 9, 2010

OC Oktoberfest

Beer Name: Oktoberfest
Brewery: Otter Creek Brewing
ABV: 4.8%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Bottled 8/29/10

While it's a little early by the calendar, the weather definitely says that it's time to break out the Oktoberfests. I didn't want to do 2 Sam Adams beers in a row, so I decided to give Otter Creek's offering a try. Let's see how it goes.

The first impression (smell) isn't fantastic. It's not bad, but I'm not excited by the beer that's about to follow it. It's hard to pick out any major scents in here, so I don't know what to expect. Maybe it's better that way though.

After the first sip, things are looking up. It tastes a little bit like an amber ale, although I don't know whether or not it's supposed to. Are Oktoberfests a version of an amber? I am going to go check. Hold on.

Ok, I checked for like 45 seconds and could not find anything definitive other than the fact that American Oktoberfest beers are inspired by the Märzen style of brewing, which is supposed to produce full-bodied beers. So really I learned nothing about the amber question. I should at least get partial credit for trying though. I'll give me a D+, maybe a C- if the rest of this post goes smoothly.

Anyways, it's amber-esque at the beginning, and has a nice smooth finish. There is no real aftertaste or lingering flavor at all, which I also associate with the amber beers. There is a slight hoppiness to it, but nothing overpowering. Letting it get warm is a mistake though. This is a beer that is clearly intended to be drunk cold. Be sure to get them into the fridge ASAP.

Final thought - OC Oktoberfest is a decent Oktoberfest beer, but it's definitely overshadowed by other beers out there. I would deem it slightly above average. It's not a bad choice, but it's not the best. Come on, Otter Creek, you can do better!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment