Friday, September 24, 2010

Old Thumper

Beer Name: Old Thumper Extra Special Ale
Brewery: Shipyard Brewing Company
ABV: 5.9%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown, best by Dec 2010

So this beer has been hanging out in my fridge for a while for some reason or another, probably because I forgot about it or had other beers to drink or it was in the back behind some other beers and I couldn't see it. The point is, this is long overdue.

The first impression I get from this beer is that is sort of smells like bread. I am not sure if that's a possible beer smell, but there's something starchy going on here. Or grainy. Or buttery? Is that even a possibility? I really have to learn more about beer. Whatever goes on in bread is also going on here, ok?

The taste is alright. There's some breadiness happening here too. Maybe some malt or caramel as well. It's got a sweetness to it, but I don't know if it fits with the other flavors. There's also a medium carbonation in this beer, which is probably too much. I believe it would have been better if it had been a little flatter, like a British beer. Especially since this seems like a beer that is brewed in imitation of a British beer.

Final thought - I don't know, I just don't care for Old Thumper. I want to like it, because it has an awesome name. It's also got a sweet label, but those things don't really come into play here. I don't think I'll be drinking much more of this in the future, especially since Shipyard has some other stuff that is much better.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment