Monday, October 18, 2010

English-Style Porter

Beer Name: Lefty's English-Style Porter
Brewery: Lefty's Brewing Company
ABV: 6%
Serving method: 16-oz pint poured from a 22-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Apparently Lefty does not like putting dates on his bottles. Since I bought it straight from the brewery, I am fairly confident that it is pretty fresh.

This is another "style" beer, as opposed to those beers which are not any style I suppose. Like maybe the beer is a mystery and you have to figure out what style it is just by drinking it. The next step after that would be bottles that are completely unmarked. Maybe it's beer, maybe it's soda, maybe it's a bottle of water that we put a Bud Light cap on to see if we could fool Dave.

The English-Style Porter is a dark amber color with a bunch of head that slowly fades away while leaving a bit of lacing behind. It smells roasty and sweet, and also a little bit fruity. That last part is weird, because I didn't know that porters had anything in them that would give off the smell of fruit. Usually I associate them with a very strong roasted aroma and flavor.

This beer is sweet. Not too sweet for me, but it's very sweet. It has a little bit of fruit flavor, then a sweet flavor and a slightly sweet aftertaste. This is another very smooth beer with only a little carbonation.

Final thought - This is a nice beer to drink after dinner while just sitting and relaxing. It's not my favorite Lefty's beer though, so I think it will probably be forced to live in the shadows of the Irish-Style Stout, the Coffee Porter, and, presumably, the Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. At least Lefty's is less than 10 miles from Kathryn's, so I can get nice fresh beer easily, regardless of which one I choose.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment