Monday, October 25, 2010

Dead Horse IPA

Beer Name: Dead Horse India Pale Ale
Brewery: McNeill's Brewery
ABV: 5.7%
Serving method: 16-oz pint poured from a 22-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown, best by Jan 2011

McNeill's is another brewery that is fairly close to Kathryn's, but they have a website that is completely uninformative. I spent a pathetic amount of time on it yesterday trying to figure out whether they sold beer directly at the brewery and what hours the brewery is open, and came away with no answer to either question. That's annoying. Instead, I had to pick up a bottle of their beer at Ryan & Casey, a place with very clear hours and beer availability that I have to assume charges me more than I would have paid at McNeill's. Bastards.

Usually this is the point where'd I make a joke along the lines of "it's made with bits of dead horse, so you know it's good!" Except that dead horse sounds gross, so I'll skip that part. The beer is a cloudy orange brown color. There is a small head on the beer that lasts for a good amount of time. It also leaves a light lacing on the glass. The aroma is of flowery hops.

The Dead Horse IPA is not as hoppy tasting as I expected it to be. There is a light hop flavor, but it's more of a bitter finish than the main flavor. The initial flavor is maltiness, with a medium to high amount of carbonation. The beer also has a strong, dry aftertaste with some emphasis on the bitterness.

Final thought - This beer seems a bit different from the standard IPA. There is less hoppiness and more malt flavor than what I'm used to. After the initial surprise, I like that flavor. I am not as big a fan of the dry finish. I would drink this again, but not frequently.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment