Friday, October 22, 2010

Blueberry Ale

Beer Name: Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale
Brewery: Atlantic Brewing Company
ABV: 5.2%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown, best by Feb 2011

I wonder who the first person was that decided that combining blueberries with beer might be a delicious idea. Obviously this man was a genius. I realize that it's pretty sexist to assume it was a guy, but I'm just playing the odds here. As they say, don't hate the player; hate the game. I am not exactly sure how that fits in here, but let's just go with it.

This particular blueberry offering comes from the folks who brought you Coal Porter: Secret Agent. It's an amber-esque colored beer with hardly any head. And that little bit is not there very long. I also did not get much lacing. Blueberry Ale smells mostly like blueberries. Big surprise. There is also a background smell of something grainy, which gives an overall impression of a blueberry muffin. That's good, as blueberry muffins are delicious.

The first sip is dominated by blueberry. Strangely, the berry taste faded as I continued drinking it. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The beer has a crisp taste from the carbonation, and finishes without an aftertaste. Very refreshing.

Final thought - As far as fruit beers go, this is a good one. I'd like to enjoy a few in the summer while sitting in Kathryn's hammock and pretending I'm not going to fall asleep. Hopefully I finish the beer first so that I don't spill it all over myself.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment