Saturday, July 2, 2011

Oatmeal Stout

Beer Name: Oatmeal Stout
Brewery: Elm City Brewing Company
ABV: 3.5%
Serving method: 16-oz draft in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Ok, so June was not a big beer drinking month. Actually, that's not really accurate. It wasn't a big new beer drinking month. I had a whole bunch of 6- and 12-packs to finish off, so I didn't really want to load up on a bunch of new things to drink. There's only so much fridge space. Fortunately, all that stuff has been consumed, so it's time to kick off the second half of the year with some (hopefully) delicious new brews! First up are a pair of stouts from Keene, NH.

Elm City's Oatmeal Stout is a solid black beer that came to me without any noticeable head. This also meant that there wasn't much lacing on the glass, although there was a very faint pattern at the end of the pint. It was hard for me to pick up on any aroma here, but I think that might be more due to my allergies than to the beer not having a strong aroma. I did pick up on a little bit of roasted scents.

This beer was good, but it wasn't especially memorable. It's very smooth, with just a little bit of carbonation. There's a light roasted flavor, and an aftertaste of bitter coffee. After a few minutes, the beer became quite delicious. It seems like the kind of beer that should be served at a slightly higher temperature than your average beers. It made a great companion to my burger.

Final thought - Definitely worth the short trip to Keene, this particular oatmeal stout was very enjoyable while I drank it. I am actually shocked at how low the ABV is. This is a great example of a session beer, since it has a good flavor without knocking you on your ass.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment