Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bengali Tiger

Beer Name: Bengali Tiger
Brewery: Sixpoint
ABV: 6.4%
Serving method: 16-oz can in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Best by 9/20/11

This beer was a gift. Hooray for beer presents!

Bengali Tiger is an IPA from Sixpoint, a brewery in New York City. It's a golden orange colored beer that poured with a thin head that bubbled for a little bit and then faded away. According to the can, this beer is supposed to leave rings of lacing behind that resemble a tiger, but my particular can did not do so. I'm a little disappointed. The aroma of this beer is hoppy, like an IPA should be, but it also has some fruit in there, specifically oranges.

This beer has a very complex taste. There's citrusy hops, and sweetness from the malts, and a little bit of an orange flavor. . . there's a lot going on here. There is a slightly bitter finish, but even that has some sweetness mixed into it. The aftertaste here is very mild, with a little bit of hops. The beer wasn't very carbonated (probably why there wasn't much lacing), but I don't think that is the norm. My guess is that I just got an off can, as this beer seems like it should be a carbonated one.

Final thought - I didn't really enjoy my first sip of this beer, but after that I thought it was very good. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't judge it solely on the first sip. That also makes me think that I need to try some of the beers that I didn't really like at various beer festivals a second time, as maybe a 3- or 4-oz sample isn't enough for a full judgment. My (beer) world has really been turned upside down here.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment