Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cream Stout

Beer Name: Cream Stout
Brewery: Elm City Brewing Company
ABV: Unknown
Serving method: 16-oz draft in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

This particular lunch was a 2-beer lunch. That's my kind of lunch.

Elm City's Cream Stout is about the same color as their Oatmeal Stout. It might have been slightly lighter, but it was still pretty much solid black. This beer did not really have much head, but there was a light lacing pattern on the glass when I finished it. There is a roasted aroma here that is the most noticeable part of the scent.

The Cream Stout has an intense roasted flavor with some faint coffee in the background. It also has a very bitter finish and aftertaste. There's a lot of smokiness in the flavor, and it's not quite as smooth as their other stout. I think it would have been good with my burger, as the sweet flavor of the BBQ sauce would have paired nicely with the flavor of this beer.

Final thought - This beer was ok, but I preferred their Oatmeal Stout to it. Kate thought that it tasted like an ashtray, which begs the question of how she knows what an ashtray even tastes like. I wouldn't go that far, but there is definitely a smokey flavor to this beer. I probably wouldn't get this beer again if they had other stouts available.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment