Friday, March 25, 2011

Mayflower Porter

Beer Name: Mayflower Porter
Brewery: Mayflower Brewing Company
ABV: 5.5%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in the same type of glass as my last beer
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

This was the second beer at The Publick House, after which I was so full of meatloaf that I couldn't possibly try another. This is an important thing to remember if I go there again: don't fill up on food! There's too many exciting beers to try to be full of healthy crap like meat and potatoes.

The Mayflower Porter pours very dark. In the dimness of the restaurant, it appeared to be solid black, even when I held it up to the window. That's dark. The head was pretty light, and it almost completely faded except for a very thin layer. The beer had a very strong roasted aroma, like malt and coffee.

This is a strong flavored beer. Very strong. The roasted aroma that was so noticeable in the aroma is in force in the flavor. It's almost overwhelming. There is a sweet flavor in the background, maybe caramel. The beer finishes very strong, but only has a light aftertaste. This is definitely a sipping beer.

Final thought - The flavor of this beer is so intense that it almost has to be paired with food (like meat!) or sipped slowly. This is not a beer that you're going to go out and pound a 6-pack or use for drinking games. You'll regret that instantly. It was a little bit too strong for me, but the flavor was very good. I'm torn about drinking it again. I should probably give it a second try in the spirit of fairness. After all, my family was on the Mayflower many years ago.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment