Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Long Trail Ale

Beer Name: Long Trail Ale
Brewery: Long Trail Brewing Company
ABV: 4.6%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Bottled 11/3/10

Doesn't beer just taste better when it's in a glass? I think so.

This has been in the fridge for a little while, but I think that it will still be ok since it's been at a pretty constant temperature and out of any direct light. I've read that light is actually the beer killer and not temperature fluctuations, but I don't trust heat either. Leave my beer alone!

Long Trail Ale is what would probably be considered their flagship beer. It's an amber or copper colored ale with a short-lived light head. There is a medium amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is sort of grainy but also fruity, like apples. Last time I tasted a beer with an apple scent, it was awful. But that's because it was a dreaded Belgian white ale, so hopefully that won't be an issue here.

Well, those apples seem to have vanished. I can smell them, but I can't taste them. What I can taste is a malty sweetness with a smooth finish and a little bit more carbonation than I was expecting. There's not really anything hoppy going on here, and no real aftertaste to speak of.

Final thought - At only 4.6%, this would make an excellent substitute for macro-swill during a long night of drinking. It doesn't taste like water, but you should still be able to drink an entire case. But don't do that, because you also might die. A good beer, but nothing majorly outstanding.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment