Sunday, March 11, 2012

Vanilla Porter

Beer Name: Vanilla Porter
Brewery: Breckenridge BBQ & Brew Pub
ABV: 4.7%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

This is the 3rd of 4 beers from the Breckenridge pack, and the one I was most excited about. I shouldn't have been though, because my history with vanilla in beers hasn't been great. But I really want it to be, so I'll keep on trying vanilla flavored beers until I find a winner. Come on brewers! You're so successful with chocolate!! Don't leave vanilla out.

Breckenridge's Vanilla Porter is a very dark brown beer, but it's slightly translucent if you hold it up to a light. It poured with a good head, and it held on for a little while before leaving a light lacing pattern. There is a strong aroma of malt here, with vanilla and a bit of fruit mixed in as well. In hindsight, I should have realized that this beer needed to be given a few minutes to warm up, but I was a little too focused on Holmes on Homes to think clearly.

At first, the beer seemed a little lacking in flavors. However, it turns out that I just needed to give it time. By the end of the glass, there was a nice vanilla flavor with each sip. There was also a good amount of malt and sweetness for the whole glass, and nothing really in the hop department for bitterness. The beer finishes mostly clean, with a lightly sweet aftertaste.

Final thought - This was pretty good by the end of the glass, although I'm not about to go out and grab some more. It seems like it would be a good beer for sitting inside on a cold winter night. The vanilla curse is definitely broken.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment