Friday, March 9, 2012

2X Stout

Beer Name: 2X Stout
Brewery: Southern Tier Brewing Company
ABV: 7.5%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: DOB was 1/26/12

In my continually unsuccessful quest to find an elusive beer known as KBS, I often find myself grabbing something else in an attempt to fill the void. Sometimes I just grab whatever has an interesting label on it, but this time I actually spent some time to find something that would hopefully be a winning choice. Since Southern Tier rarely, if ever, lets me down, I figure their version of a stout should be tasty. As a bonus, it turns out that this oddly named beer is a milk stout! Score!!

2X Stout is a solid black beer. With a violent pour, I could get the beer to produce a very light head, but it faded away almost immediately with very little lacing. It's slightly thinner than I was expecting for such a strong beer, but that isn't necessarily a negative. There is a pleasant aroma of malty roasted chocolate. It's combined with some bittersweet chocolate notes in the background.

The flavor of this beer is very roasted. The chocolate from the aroma is here, and there's also a little bit of coffee in there as well, although it's very faint. The beer has a light carbonation that works well with the other flavors. It's sweet at the beginning, with some bitterness at the finish. There is a mostly sweet aftertaste, but it has a stickiness that starts to get overbearing on the second bottle.

Final thought - This is a nice sipping beer, but watch out for that ABV. It doesn't taste like a 7.5% beer, so a few of them will catch up to you quickly.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment