Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oatmeal Stout #2

Beer Name: Oatmeal Stout
Brewery: Breckenridge BBQ & Brew Pub
ABV: 4.9%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

I have been a little lax on my beer updates in the past week, but instead of blaming it on laziness, I will instead use the excuse of wanting to drink a couple before writing my thoughts. That way my opinions will be a little more focused. Or something like that.

Breckenridge's Oatmeal Stout is a very dark beer, but it's a thin sort of blackness. It poured with basically no head, although there was a very thin ring around the edge. There was a very light lacing, but it tended to slowly fade away rather than last on the glass. The aroma is roasted grains, with some coffee. It actually reminds me of the stout I just put into bottles a couple weeks ago, which might not necessarily be a good thing.

The roasted notes from the aroma are also present in the flavor, although they aren't quite as noticeable as I was expecting. Most of what I'm getting is a bitter roasted coffee, with not much complexity going on. The beer is very carbonated for a stout (which is like a moderate carbonation), and finishes slightly bitter and turns into a bready aftertaste.

Final thought - This beer is not bad, but there are just too many other great stouts out there for it to get a regular place in my fridge. I have to stick to the classics. And try new things, I suppose, since this poor blog will stagnate if I don't.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment