Thursday, June 23, 2011

Robust Porter

Beer Name: Robust Porter
Brewery: Smuttynose Brewing Company
ABV: 5.7%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Best by 10/11

There was a Smuttynose tasting over at Ryan & Casey, so Kate and I got to taste test a bunch of there beers. Sadly for her, and awesomely for me, there was a porter, a pale ale and an IPA as 3 of the choices. She really needs to expand her beer palette. I guess that's up to me.

Robust Porter has a funny picture of an old-timey weightlifter on the bottle and is a very dark beer. Super dark. Like, stout dark. There is a little bit of head on it, but it fades pretty quickly. Even with this fast fading head, there is still a very heavy lacing left behind. The aroma is delicious chocolate and roasted malts.

This beer starts off with a bitter chocolate flavor upfront and sweetness in the middle. It finishes with roasted bitterness and an aftertaste of roasted malt. This beer feels very big in the mouth, with each taste seeming like a big event. There is a decent amount of carbonation here, appropriate for this style.

Final thought - This is a good beer, but it feels very heavy. After drinking it, I have a feeling like I just ate a big meal. I would drink it again though. As far as porters go, this one is near the top of the list.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment