Sunday, June 26, 2011

Brew Free! or Die IPA

Beer Name: Brew Free! or Die IPA
Brewery: 21st Amendment Brewery
ABV: 7%
Serving method: 12-oz can
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Yup, that is not a typo. Somehow, a beer in a can has cracked the formerly impenetrable wall that was my bias against beer served in an aluminum tube. I am not sure how this happened. Actually, I am. When Bill and I returned the bottles from the last few months, the total return came to $22, so I bought some crazy beer that was being sold in a box of 6 cans. I figured if a company was brave enough to package their beer like crap beer, there has to be something important going on there.

Brew Free! or Die IPA is a beer with a cool name and a stupid punctuation mark in it. It also made me thing that this beer was brewed in New Hampshire even though it's apparently from California. Since the can was pretty opaque, I have no idea what kind of appearance this beer has or whether or not it leaves a cool lacing pattern. However, I will say that it had a nice aroma of citrus hops mixed with a strong malty presence.

This is a nicely balanced IPA, and it even was palatable to Kate! Not that she liked it, but she didn't make a face and even rated it as "not bad," which is the highest rating she's ever given to an IPA. There's a nice hoppy flavor here, but the beer finishes with a nice maltiness and no bitter aftertaste. There's a good amount of carbonation here, and the flavor doesn't really hint at the 7% ABV. Nicely enjoyable for an afternoon or evening of beer consumption.

Final thought - Aside from the fact that it took me 3 cans of this beer to finally get past the mental obstacle that came from drinking a beer from a can, this beer was very good. I find it a little strange that my brain added a metallic taste to the beer for the first and second beer just because I knew it was coming from a can. If you can get past that, this is a delightful brew.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment