Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hop Devil

Beer Name: Hop Devil
Brewery: Victory Brewing Company
ABV: 6.7%
Serving method: 16-oz draft in an octagonal pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Wow, has it really been that long since I tried a new beer? Well, technically no, it hasn't, but it has been that long since I had a beer that I can write up a proper opinion about. Although I suppose that at some point I'll have to revisit those other beers in the interest of journalistic integrity.

Victory's Hop Devil is an amber colored beer with a hint of orange in it. The draft poured with about half an inch of head which faded very slowly, leaving a moderate lacing pattern behind. With a name like Hop Devil, I was expecting my nose to be assaulted by hops, but the aroma was actually very mellow, with a combination of hops and malt.

The flavor of this beer matches the aroma nicely, which is not always the case with beers. The beer has a nice flavor, with some noticeable hoppiness without being overwhelming. There's also a sweetness to each sip from the malt. There's a slightly bitter finish (hops again), and there is also a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. Compared to most IPAs, this one is not nearly as strong of a hop assault on the palette.

Final thought - I liked this beer a lot. In fact, I drank 2 of them with dinner. In comparison with Victory's Hop Wallop, this beer is definitely more drinkable. I doubt that people who don't like other IPAs would change their minds after drinking this, but I think it would be a good introductory IPA for the more open minded drinkers out there.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment