Saturday, May 14, 2011

Apricot Wheat

Beer Name: Apricot Wheat
Brewery: Sea Dog Brewing Company
ABV: 4.6%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Best by... I forget. Sometime a long time from now.

I grabbed a Sea Dog mix-pack and a Magic Hat mix-pack to complement my chili, because nothing goes with chili like beer. Except for maybe beer and football. You know, if there is actually football next season. I believe I've covered most of the Magic Hat pack already, so the honor of being featured as the next new beer goes to Sea Dog's Apricot Wheat.

Since I drank this one straight from the bottle (my Mom's house as a disturbing lack of appropriate beer glassware), I couldn't get a great look at the beer's coloring. It seemed to be fairly light colored beer, but I can't be sure because of the brown bottle. The aroma was very strongly apricot, to the point of seeming a bit artificial. There was also a little bit of graininess in the background, but it wasn't very noticeable.

I can tell that beer snobs aren't going to like this beer. It has an apricot flavor to a ridiculous degree. Where #9 has a fairly subtle hint of apricots in the background, Apricot Wheat is all about it. I would guess that the apricot flavor is not from natural apricots. This beer is very sweet, and it doesn't have much carbonation. They could probably pass it off as an apricot soda.

Final thought - If you go in expecting a big beer here, you're going to be disappointed. This is just a sweet beer for the summer with an absurd amount of apricots. Sadly, too many people are only concerned with having imperial beers or double/triple IPAs to enjoy anything that isn't in the category. Enjoy Apricot Wheat for what it is: an enjoyable, easy-to-drink beer that isn't overly alcoholic.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment