Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Smuttynose IPA

Beer Name: Finestkind IPA
Brewery: Smuttynose Brewing Company
ABV: 6.9%
Serving method: 16-oz draft
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

See, I told you it was time to get serious. And back-to-back posts is the best way I know how to make that happen.

Smuttynose is one of the most hilariously named breweries around, and they have a little otter (or something similar) in their logo so they get to be on the list of beers I'll pretty much always try. The "Finestkind" IPA is a deep golden-orange beer with about 1/4" of head on the top. This lasted for a bit as well as leaving a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma here is the standard citrusy and piney hops of an IPA.

Whoa, this is a dry IPA. There isn't a whole lot of bitterness, but it's so dry that I almost needed a water afterwards to rehydrate my mouth. Ok, that's an exaggeration. But this is very dry. If you don't like your IPAs dry (think Stone IPA or Celebration Ale), then you'll want to skip this. As for drinkability, this beer has a medium carbonation and survives nicely as it warms up.

Final thought - This is an above average IPA, but I wouldn't rank it in the top tier of ones that I've tried. I'll drink it again though, because it was very enjoyable.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment