Saturday, December 4, 2010

60 Minute IPA

Beer Name: 60 Minute IPA
Brewery: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
ABV: 6%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Bottled 9/2/10

I bought this beer for 3 reasons: I'm on an IPA kick, there wasn't anything else that caught my attention, and "Dogfish" reminds me of Chloe's catfish-like face on her supposedly dog body. Hee hee, pugs are pretty ridiculous. Based on the name, I am guessing that this is an India Pale Ale that uses a 60-minute boil. You know, in case you cared.

This beer is a golden color and slightly opaque. It leaves a very thin head that quickly evaporates while still leaving a good lacing on the glass. There's a citrusy hop smell, as expected from an IPA. If you let it sit for a minute or two, you can also pick up on something else, but I am not sure what. You'll have to give it a try and let me know.

The 60 Minute IPA is classic IPA. There's a bunch of hops at the beginning of a sip, and then a little bit of maltiness. It finishes a bit dry and bitter, but not nearly to the degree of something like the Celebration Ale. The light amount of carbonation is perfect for this beer. There's more of an aftertaste here than I'd like, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Final thought - 60 Minute IPA is a solid beer that will enjoy a place on my rapidly growing list of approved Fridge Fillers (trademark pending). I think even nonfans of IPAs might enjoy it since it's not nearly as bitter as most others are. But it's still a little bitter, so don't try to misquote me by telling me I said otherwise. I'm on to you!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment