Thursday, September 22, 2011

India Pale Ale

Beer Name: India Pale Ale
Brewery: Southern Tier Brewing Company
ABV: 7.3%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: DOB was 8/12/11

August is a much more reasonable time for a beer to be born if I'm drinking it in September. Hopefully that means things will go better with this beer.

Southern Tier's IPA is an orangey copper beer that poured with a thin head which quickly evaporated, leaving a thin layer around the edges. It also left a medium lacing pattern. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with a mix of floral hops and pine hops. There's also a little bit of citrus hops in the background. It seems like there is even some maltiness in there as well, but it's very faint.

This is a good flavored IPA, with enough of a hoppy kick to let you know it's an IPA without being too bitter. It is balanced with a bit of malt as well, so the flavor is both bitter and sweet. The beer is lightly carbonated, and it finishes with a bitter hop flavor. There's a little bit of an aftertaste, and it has some bitter and sweet components. After a little while, the beer's flavor sort of weakens, so drink this one sort of quickly.

Final thought - This is a pretty good beer, with only one minor drawback. I would say that it has a perfect amount of hops, with enough malt to keep things balanced. The only flaw in my opinion is that after a few minutes, the beer's flavor sort of fades away and it feels kind of watery. I bet if I drank it a little bit faster, then that wouldn't have been an issue. But that is dumb, because I like to enjoy my beers. If I wanted to chug down 10 beers an hour, I'd just drink Random Macro-brew Light.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment