Saturday, April 2, 2011

Wipeout

Beer Name: Wipeout IPA
Brewery: Port Brewing Company
ABV: 7%
Serving method: 16-oz draft in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

Despite the week of no new beers, I am still nicely on track for my 100 new beers this year. I suppose I should start April off with a few new brews.

Wipeout IPA is a cloudy golden color with about a half inch of head that fades slowly and leaves a sort of heavy, erratic lacing pattern. The beer has a very strong aroma of citrus hops, particularly grapefruit. Before the first sip, you can tell that this beer is going to be a hoppy one.

No surprises here. This beer is strongly hoppy. It actually hits you at the end of the sip. At first there's a little bit of citrusy flavor, and then the hops come in full force. The beer finishes very dry, and there is a strong aftertaste. This combination makes this beer a definite sipper in my book. The glass stays flavorful all the way until the end.

Final thought - While I do enjoy a hoppy beer, this one is just a little too strong for me. I think it would be good paired with some food, but on its own it kind of kicked me in the tastebuds. It was obviously a well-done beer though, so Port Brewing will stay on the radar as a place whose beers I should try.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment