Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Double Wide I.P.A.

Beer Name: Double Wide I.P.A.
Brewery: Boulevard Brewing Co.
ABV: 8.5%
Serving method: 750 mL bottle in a tumbler
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Born sometime last year

After the adventure I had to go on to obtain this beer, it had better be delicious. I thought I grabbed a 4-pack of this over the weekend, but I had unfortunately gotten a 4-pack of Tank 7 that was deceptively put into a Double Wide marked case. I didn't like the Tank 7, although I'll admit I probably didn't give it a fair shot because I was so upset that I had gotten the wrong beer. I went back to return the 3 remaining bottles in exchange for the proper beer, but the IPA was all gone. Thankfully they let me trade them for this big guy instead. The only problem now is going to be getting the cork out of it. I am notoriously bad at dealing with corks.

Cut to 3 minutes later, and the bottle is open. Double Wide IPA is dark copper beer with some orange highlights. It pours with a bunch of head, over 2 fingers worth, which is appropriate according to whoever maintains Boulevard's website. Most of it fades away after a few minutes, leaving just enough behind to generate some lacing. The aroma here isn't as hoppy as I was expecting for a "double" IPA, but there are some earthy/florally hops to be smelled. It seems like there's a nice dose of malt in there as well.

Much like the aroma was hinting at, there is not an overwhelming hoppiness to this beer. There's a bit of bitterness at first, and then some malt to balance things out. As it finishes, there's a crisp bitter flavor that gives way to some sweetness that hangs on for just a few moments. The beer has a moderate carbonation, but it's still nicely drinkable.

Final thought - I hesitate to give a solid opinion on this beer since I should have consumed it about 3 months ago, but I'll do it anyway. The flavor of this beer isn't one of my favorites, but it's still nice and it's very easy drinking. I think I'll try to grab a more current bottle some time and see if that makes any difference.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment