Friday, February 3, 2012

Dale's Pale Ale

Beer Name: Dale's Pale Ale
Brewery: Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery
ABV: 6.5%
Serving method: 12-oz can... in a plastic cup
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Unknown

I'm so embarrassed to have consumed a craft beer out of a plastic cup. But I was out at a bar, and it was super busy, and it was either that or drink it straight out of the can, which is only appropriate at cookouts and parties. That was a ridiculous run-on sentence, but I don't care.

Dale's Pale Ale is, somewhat surprisingly considering its name, a fairly dark copper-colored beer. Given the nature of my beer's container, there wasn't really going to be any lacing. Or, if there was, it wasn't going to be noticeable since the cup was also white. There was a good head on it, however, so I'd imagine that in a proper glass things would be looking good. The aroma is a mix of light citrus and pine hops, and pretty typical of the American pale ale style.

This first thing that hits me about this beer is that it's a more bitter flavor than I was expecting. There's a maltiness to help balance it out, but there is definitely a sharp dry bitter flavor at the finish. It was a little jarring at first actually. After a few sips, I was a little more prepared for the flavor, and it was pretty enjoyable. It has a good carbonation and a bitter aftertaste that hangs around for a long time.

Final thought - This was a pretty good beer. The finish was a little dry for me, but that's just a personal preference. I think that the next time I drink one of these, I wouldn't make it my first beer of the night so that I can warm up my tastebuds a little bit.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment