Friday, December 30, 2011

So Long 2011

Since I won't be drinking any new beers tonight, and anything new I drink tomorrow night probably won't be remembered, I think I can safely say that my Mmmm, beers! writing for the year is finished. Let's reminisce a bit, and take a look forward to what 2012 might bring.

First of all, I doubt that there will be as many posts next year. I would like to try 100 new beers, but I also would like to go back to some of the ones I really liked and enjoy them again. As the days were ticking by this year, I realized that sometimes I forced myself to drink something new when I was really in the mood for a classic like BBC's Coffeehouse Porter. That's just silly.

I think maybe I should try something like New Beer Wednesday, since I have such easy access to package stores (I think Kate and I counted 5 within a mile of our house), including Ryan & Casey. R&C has a fairly huge variety, although I'm sure there might be that one guy who might be reading this who has been somewhere else with a much bigger selection and will feel the need to scoff. Whatever bro, no one likes a story-topper.

I'm really looking forward to my next trip to Table & Vine, which will proceed with me being armed with a gift card. That will probably kick off the incoming year with a whole slew of new beers, as I've already begun constructing a game plan based around beers I've wanted to try but was hesitant to buy due to their price. Not an issue now. I might even write a whole post about how exciting it is to shop for beer with what is essentially a blank check.

If you haven't noticed yet, these paragraphs are not really linked in any coherent way.

I have been looking into the necessary steps for gaining a certification in beer knowledge and what not. Perhaps you've heard, but I've kind of potentially decided that maybe teaching mathematics is not the career for me. Most careers are actually not that appealing, but I think that a career in the beer industry might work out. There are 3 levels of certification, so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

I think that this year might have been unfairly dominated by stouts and IPAs. And pretty much exclusively American beers. And while I enjoy supporting the American beer culture, I feel that I need to expand my global drinking. There's too much beer out there to limit myself. I will try to limit myself to only 40% of my new beers being stouts and IPAs and at least 1 beer in 10 being from outside the US for the next year. This seems like a good goal, and it will allow me the freedom to drink my favorites as well.

I'm looking forward to a new year of new beer. Hopefully I can get you to drink some good stuff too.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment