Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sword Swallower

Beer Name: Coney Island Sword Swallower
Brewery: Schmaltz Brewing Company
ABV: 6.8%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on:

This beer was a gift from Bill, as he drank the first one of these in his mixpack and did not care for it. Also, the label was on upside down. That makes me laugh. Finally, I was not aware that Coney Island was in California. Oh wait, it's not! This brewery is tricky.

Sword Swallower is a golden color, with some hints orange in there. This one is a little more like brass, if brass is the color I'm thinking it is. It poured with almost no head, but there was a thin layer that lasted for most of the glass and left some erratic lacing behind. It has a citrus hop aroma, but there is also another aroma in there that makes the beer seem "bigger" than most pales. I would assume that this is a result of this being a lager instead of an ale.

For some reason, I went in thinking that this was going to be an IPA even though the bottle clearly said "Steel Hop Lager." Perhaps my reading abilities need to be tested. Although it does finish a bit like an IPA, so maybe they were shooting for an India Pale Lager. It has a good carbonation and is very smooth. The flavor is floral hops with a lagery taste in there as well. The finish is bitter, but the aftertaste hangs out a little too long.

Final thought - This beer was ok, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to drink again. There's nothing bad about it though, so maybe you will like it.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment