Sunday, March 13, 2011

Demo

Beer Name: IPA On Tour: Demo
Brewery: Magic Hat
ABV: 6%
Serving method: 12-oz bottle in a pint glass
Born/Bottled/Shipped on: Best by 5/31

It's not spring yet on the calendar, but the Magic Hat winter pack has gone away for now and has been replaced by their spring pack. At this rate, Summer Ale will be out ridiculously early again this year, and everyone will be disappointed that the Summer Ale Challenge has been discontinued. Well, no matter. The spring pack has #9, Circus Boy, Vinyl and the aforementioned Demo. I'll hit those middle two at some point, but we're starting with Demo.

Demo is a black IPA, which is a stupid name for a beer. How can it be black and pale? They are like total opposites. I guess this is also called an American black ale, so whatever. If people want to give their beers stupid names, I suppose there's nothing I can do about it. Yet. As predicted by this name, the beer is pretty dark. I would classify it as dark brown with red highlights. It pours with a very thin head that faded almost entirely in a matter of seconds. Despite this, there was still a pretty heavy amount of lacing. The aroma is both hoppy and malty, and reminds me of Dark Element/Matter.

Well, that's interesting. The flavor doesn't really match the aroma at all. But that's not a problem! It's actually very good, although I am not sure that it matches the style either. The flavor is mainly roasted tastes, with a little bit of hops in the background. It's also surprisingly carbonated. Usually I don't like that in a beer, but it works for this one. There is a little bit of sweetness in the finish, and a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

Final thought - As long as you don't go in expecting anything resembling an IPA, this is a very tasty beer. However, if it's anything like the other IPA On Tour beers, I wouldn't get too attached to it. It's probably not going to be around too long. And that's unfortunate. I guess I'll have to treasure the 3 that I have.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment